So, here I am 20 months later, with a lovely baby girl who is almost ready to be potty trained, and I am making the switch! I have many reasons: fewer rashes, easier transition to panties, no money spent on pull-ups, they are cute - but the main reason is just because I WANT TO. Yes, I'm mad at myself for not doing it to begin with, and I've decided that baby #2 will be cloth diapered, so I might as well start now!
I have a good friend who does all cloth diapering, so I contacted her and got the nitty gritty. She let me borrow a few diapers just to try it out at night to see what I thought, and after only 3 days I had bought enough diapers to go a full weekend of cloth diapering, and after only a week I knew that I had made the right choice.
So -- if you are interested in cloth diapering - from the begining or making a switch I suggest you do the following:
- ignore people who say you are crazy
- don't listen to anyone who used cloth diapers prior to the 1990's
- go to www.jilliansdrawers.com and do a lot of reading
- go to "fluff swappers" on Facebook and buy some used diapers
- if you are switching from disposable to cloth, start at night and weekends first
- pre-stuff your cloth diapers and put them in the diaper holder your disposables used to be in, so they are easy to grab
- keep a wetbag next to your changing table (mine hangs off) to quickly put away wet diapers
- keep a diaper pail with a pail liner in the bathroom near the toilet to quickly put away soiled diapers
- find a friend or two who supports you in your decision to share all of your fun "fluff" stories with!
- have fun!