- 3 large leeks (cut lengthwise in 1 inch segments, do not use the dark green parts)
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 cups water
- 2cups chicken broth (can use vegetable broth to make vegetarian)
- 2 lbs potatoes (I used baby Yukon gold, but any will do) diced
- dash of oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp chopped fresh lemon-thyme (regular thyme will work too)
- Louisiana Hot Sauce (or any other chili sauce)
- ground sea salt
Add leeks and butter to a medium saucepan with a little salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes, stirring about every 2 minutes. Do not let leeks brown!
Add water, broth, and potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook covered on low heat for 20 minutes.
Scoop about 1/2 to 3/4 of the soup into a blender and puree.
Add puree back to the soup and add oregano, cilantro, and thyme. Stir well.
|oregano, cilantro, lemon-thyme chopped and mixed|
Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Stir well.
|love Louisiana Hot Sauce!|
Finally, let simmer for 5 minutes after all seasoning has been added.
I like this soup served hot, but I've heard that some serve it cold. It is a very filling soup, so no need to prepare any other food for your meal. It took me about 45 minutes to prepare this meal, including prep-time and running outside to cut the fresh herbs.