Winter Magic

Winter Magic
"Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall." ~ Ray Bradbury

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Offer #2: Things Fall Apart...

Things Fall Apart...

We didn't have the painful negotiations we had the first time for the second offer.  Since it was for the same amount as the first offer, where my ex had already agreed that I didn't "need" to pay him the $5,000, I made it clear to him that we would not be going down that route again.

I had also placed an offer on a home I wanted... a contingency offer based on the sale of my home. I was waiting to hear if my offer had been accepted...

All seemed good.  Conventional loan, 20% down, appraisal came back at value, inspection went well... and then there was a pause.  Everything just stopped.  Our agent was having difficulty reaching their agent.

Then, on the morning of November 4th, I get the phone call. I'm at work.  My offer was accepted.  I'm elated - I can't believe it.  The seller was willing to accept my contingency offer.  I'm walking on air.

Then, an hour later, my phone rings again.  It is my agent.  I hear what she is saying, but I don't really understand.  I make her repeat it.  "The buyer of your house is pulling out of escrow."

What? Why? How?  How could this be happening again?

I want to scream, I want to be mad, but I can't... The buyer and her agent are related, mother and daughter.  The agents son, the buyers brother, had attempted suicide.  The reason why they couldn't be reached is because they'd been at the hospital with him... then things made a turn for the worse and he didn't make it.

November 4th, 2013.

I call my parents to tell them.  My mom answers.  She's upset.  She's crying.  Before I mention the house I ask her what is wrong.

Grandma.  She's been in hospice for over three months at my parent's house.

 My grandma.  My mom's mother.  They are moving her out of hospice.  They are giving her just a few more days and my mom doesn't want it to happen there. I don't say anything about the house.

My dad calls back when he realizes it was the middle of a work day (I never call anyone between the hours of 8am - 3pm) and I must have had a reason to call.  I tell him the news about the house.  He asks if that means that I'm losing the house I made an offer on.  I don't know at this point.

It is a Monday and almost lunch time.  I leave school.  I can't be there.  I'm too emotional about everything.  My agent is calling me to give me updates on the house.  My dad is calling me to give me updates about grandma.

I need comfort food, but I can't go to my mom.  I drive to El Farolito in Placentia.  I order their carnitas special and a Cadillac margarita. I'm not crying any more.  I try to ignore my phone.  I smile briefly when my agent sends me a message saying that the seller of the house I made an offer on is willing to keep it off the market for two weeks.  I have two weeks to find another buyer for my house.

I go to pick up baby bug.  I hug her tighter than usual.  We go home and I make her dinner.  We are sitting at the table talking when my phone rings again.  It is my dad.  Grandma didn't make it the three days the doctor gave,  less than three hours after arriving at the nursing home she passed.  My mom was in the room with her.  Baby bug asks me why I am crying.  I tell her great-grandma is gone.  She hugs me back, she tells me she doesn't want me to cry and she tells me she loves me.  I know she doesn't understand.  I embrace her and don't let go for a very long time.  She accepts this.  I am thankful she is there with me and I don't have to sleep alone that night.

November 4th, 2013

I take a week off of work.  I go back feeling a little broken, but life goes on.

Not mentally ready for round three...

No comments: